About Dr. Swezey and the Swezey Institute
Robert L. Swezey, M.D., F.A.C.P., F.A.C.R., F.A.A.P.M.R., is an internationally recognized leader in research and teaching in rheumatological rehabilitation and is the Medical Director of the Swezey Institute.
He is a Clinical Professor of Medicine at UCLA and is a Board Certified specialist in 3 specialty areas: Rheumatology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Internal Medicine and Osteoporosis.
Dr. Swezey is renowned for his expertise and research in the fields of non-surgical neck & back pain treatment, arthritis and osteoporosis. His long and distinguished career includes many accomplishments:
- Author and editor of several self-care books, medical text books, and numerous research and educational publications.
- Former Chief of the Division of Rehabilitation Medicine at UCLA. Prior to this he held the position of Director of Rehabilitation-Rheumatic Disease Section at USC.
- An Academic Career Fellow, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, University of Minnesota; and Career Fellow, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, UCLA .
- Serves as President of the Osteoporosis Prevention and Treatment Center and the Metabolic & Skeletal Research & Education Foundation.
- Author of numerous medical texts including: Arthritis: Rational Therapy and Rehabilitation, and Essential Therapies for Joint, Soft Tissue, and Disk Disorders.
- Served as the editor for the Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Clinics of North America book on Low Back Pain and the book on Neck Pain.
- Author of over one hundred scientific publications and books on topics related to back pain, osteoporosis, joint and rheumatic diseases and rehabilitiative aspects of musculoskeletal pain, osteoporosis, exercises and rehabilitation.
- Has participated in, or developed, nine audiovisual programs and has made frequent television appearances on topics related to osteoporosis, arthritis and back pain.
- Certified in Clinical Desitometry by the ISCD. He is also a member of the American Medical Association, American College of Rheumatology, American Academy of PM & R, as well as numerous other medical associations.
Research at the Swezey Institute
The Swezey institute is world renowned for the research, evaluation and care of osteoporosis, non-surgical back, neck and joint relief, osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis and musculoskeletal disorders.
For the last 15 years, the Institute has been at the forefront of research into osteoporosis. Under the direction of Dr. Swezey, the Institue has conducted landmark studies in isometric resistive exercises for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
Clinical research studies currently in progress at the Institute include:
- Non-surgical joint injection pain control
- Miniaturized digital instrumentation for the measurement of isometric-resistive exercise strength increases in upper and lower body
- Development and assessment of proprioceptive skills in balance and fall prevention programs
- Advanced design orthotic trigger finger splint
- Rapid posture training and correction using a digital, body-connected device